Modus Operandi



I was born in Bible-Belt country. My maternal grandfather was a hell-fire-n-brimstone preacher. Mom’s attention to religion was her priority. Dad’s was on science, adventure, family.

I claim to be hatched in a Mason jar. This, because I was born at Ball Memorial Hospital named for the originators of that glass canning jar. Mom canned. Dad taught chemistry. 

Mom taught us about putting God first. Dad taught us the mechanisms of the world. Both were monitored by The Great Depression in their separate approaches to living.




Being second born, I came to think I had no position of priority. I learned to fend for myself. This had its consequences.


I was first to marry, first to move away three time zones, first to divorce. Another first was my exploration into new age religion.


It filled a vacuum after my divorce. Family had failed me. Intuitively, I knew I needed community.


I was gung-ho on expanding my horizons but wedges were positioned between me, my family, my choices.


This I know: When we try to diminish others, we can only diminish ourselves. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad Hair Decade